When I was a child, I loved to draw, to paint, to do anything to do with art. I had fancy watercolor colored pencils, got one and two at a time because they were so expensive. I had cheap paints and quality Indian Ink. I filled journal after journal. In seventh grade, I received and introduction to calligraphy and loved it. In the eighth grade, my perspective drawing of a city was marked down because the lines weren’t parallel. I was discouraged and thought I sucked at art so started to do less and less. I focused my creative energies on my writing; short fiction and poetry. But there was something missing. I realized I loved visual art and needed to do it. I enjoyed doing it and decided not to care what anyone else thought. And then, other people liked it. Artists like Rose Clancy gave me positive feedback. I found my niche in mixed media. I draw and paint, but my favorite things to do are calligraphy, which I’ve picked back up and took a community college class on, and collage. I like how the pieces fit together like a beautiful puzzle into a collage. I began experimenting with different mediums to do the collages on. I combine my calligraphy with collage and found objects. I improved my techniques and tools. I am still learning every day. This is my journey. These are my journals.
Painting is just another way of keeping a diary. ~Pablo Picasso
Books I Have:
- Mixed-Media Self-Portraits: Inspiration & Techniques, by Cate Coulacos Prato.
- The Encyclopedia of Calligraphy Techniques, by Diana Hardy Wilson.
- The Calligrapher's Bible, by David Harris.
- Modern Mark Making, by Lisa Engellsrecht.
- Celtic Art: The Methods of Construction, by George Bain.
- The Do-It-Yourself Lettering Book, by Anna Burgess.
Books I Want:
- Exhibition 36: Mixed Media Demonstrations + Explorations, by Susan Tuttle.
- Journal Bliss: Creative Prompts to Unleash Your Inner Eccentric, by Violette.
- Creative Is a Verb: If You're Alive, You're Creative, by Patti Digh.
- Drawing Lab for Mixed-Media Artists: 52 Creative Exercises to Make Drawing Fun, by Carla Sonheim.
- Collage Lab: Experiments, Investigations, and Exploratory Projects, by Bee Shay.
- Inner Excavation: Exploring Your Self Through Photography, Poetry and Mixed Media, by Liz Lamoreux.
- Art at the Speed of Life: Motivation and Inspiration for Making Mixed-Media Art Every Day, by Pam Carriker.
- Collage Journeys: A Practical Guide to Creating Personal Artwork, by Jane Davies.
More Books I Want:
- Teesha Moore's Journalbook Set
- The Adventures of Darius and Downey: and other true tales of street art, as told to Ed Zipco, by Leon Reed, Brad Downey, and Swoon (intro).
- The Awe-manac: A Daily Dose of Wonder, by Jill Badonsky.
- Flavor for Mixed Media: A Feast of Techniques for Texture, Color and Layers , by Mary Beth Shaw.
- Mixed-Media Paint Box: Weekly Projects for a Year of Creative Exploration.
- The Complete Guide to Altered Imagery : Mixed-Media Techniques for Collage, Altered Books, Artist Journals, and More, by Karen Michel.
- Collage Playground: A Fresh Approach to Creating Mixed-Media Art, by Kimberly Santiago.